Authors are invited to submit scholarly papers, or reviews for books, events, catalogues, CDs, etc., under the stated aims and scope of the Journal of Science and Technology of the Arts.
The main language for the Journal is English.
The CITAR Journal also accepts material to be reviewed by the editorial staff of the journal. Publishers, event organizers and galleries may submit books, CDs, DVD's, catalogues, CD-ROMs, and other review materials for consideration to:
Journal of Science and Technology of the Arts / CITAR
Universidade Católica Portuguesa – Centro Regional do Porto
Rua Diogo Botelho, 1327
Materials submitted for consideration will not be returned.
The Journal of Science and Technology of the Arts accepts both solicited and unsolicited texts. Scholarly papers are published in the Articles section of the CITAR Journal and are subject to a peer-review process. Review texts are pubblished in the Reviews section of the CITAR Journal and are not subject to peer-review.
Please see the editing flowchart, to understand the peer-review and editing process.
After the manuscript is submitted to the Editor, it is sent to anonymous readers for peer review. Each manuscript is reviewed by two/three independent peer-reviewers selected from the editorial board or external peer-reviewers invited to review specific submissions.
Authors are notified of acceptance, rejection or the need for revision within two months. Articles may be returned to the author for revisions once or more.
After a manuscript is accepted, it is edited at the editorial office where it will be styled to conform to Journal of Science and Technology of the Arts’ style, and returned to the author for approval prior to publication.
Once a manuscript is accepted for publication, the editing and production process usually takes about four months.
An accepted article may not appear in the immediately subsequent issue of the journal, at the discretion of the editor.
Papers should be submitted electronically according to editorial guidelines.
Incorrectly formatted papers will be rejected.
All articles and reviews should be written in English; quotations from foreign language texts should be translated into English. Where necessary the original text may be quoted in the endnotes.
Articles should be clearly written, logically presented and accessible to the general reader. Texts are judged on the basis of relevance to the aims and scope of the journal, originality, rigor of thought.
Papers may include statements of belief and speculations, which should be denoted as such. If you have an opinion worth presenting, state it boldly. Try to avoid an excessively ‘academic’ tone. There is no need to shun the use of the first person singular.
Authors should avoid esoteric words, slang, parochialisms, idioms and colloquialisms.
Articles should be no longer than 6000 words.
Reviews should be no longer than 1500 words.
Templates for articles and reviews are available with additional guidelines:
To submit a manuscript, authors must register on the journal submission system (make sure you check the "Author" role) and follow the submission process, by clicking the "New submission" link on the user Home:
- Step 1: Select the journal section (Articles or Reviews) and verify the submission checklist.
- Step 2: Upload the main file (Word document or PDF file).
- Step 3: Enter the submission metadata (author names, affiliation, abstract, keywords, etc.)
- Step 4: Upload supplementary files. In this step you should provide a zip file with the image files used in the paper.
- Step 5: Confirm the submission.
For questions regarding the submission process use the email address email@example.com
Authors who publish in the CITAR Journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (see The Effect of Open Access).
Copyrights to illustrations published in the journal remain with their current copyright holders.
It is the author's responsibility to obtain permission to quote from copyright sources.
Any fees required to obtain illustrations or to secure copyright permissions are the responsibility of authors.
All correspondence concerning contributions, books and other review material should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org